Waketon, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Waketon was twelve miles south of Denton in Denton County and was originally part of the Chinn's Chapel settlement. The settlement was established in 1853 by Elisha Chinn in an area that had supported settlers since 1845. It consisted of three small communities-Shiloh, Bartonville, and Waketon. Waketon was named for Simpson Wakefield, a farmer from Tennessee. The community existed for just under 100 years. By the late 1940s Waketon's twenty residents could no longer support the town, and by 1950 it had ceased to exist.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Waketon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/waketon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Waketon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Associated Names

Wakefield's