Walker Chapel, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Walker (Walker's) Chapel was off Farm Road 235 ten miles northeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County. It was first settled before the Civil War and was named for John Walker, who moved to the area before 1839 and built the small church that served as the focus of the community. A local school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of thirty-five. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a church, a school, and a number of houses. The school later closed, and in the early 1990s only an old, tin-roofed structure and a cemetery remained.

Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Walker Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/walker-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Loading