Walkers Creek, TX

By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Walkers Creek is a small rural community located in north central Milam County five miles northeast of Cameron near Farm Road 485. It was named for William Henry Walker, who received a land grant in 1834 on what became known as Walkers Creek. A Baptist church was organized at Walkers Creek in 1882; W. G. Glazner was pastor. In 1903 the community had a two-teacher school with eighty-seven students. A school, a church, and a few scattered houses were shown in the area on county highway maps in the 1940s; a church, a community hall, and a cemetery were at the site in the 1980s. No population estimates for Walkers Creek were available.

Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Walkers Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 08, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/walkers-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Loading