Wall, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Wall, on U.S. Highway 87 ten miles southeast of San Angelo in southeastern Tom Green County, was originally called Lipan School, then Little School, then Murray's Store. The area was a school district covering 326 square miles, which was reduced to 237 square miles in 1889. The first settlers were J. C. and Lou Bell Bunnell in 1886. The town was named for J. M. Wall, a storekeeper who served as first postmaster; the post office opened in 1906. Wall served as the trading center for the fertile Lipan Flat region, where cotton and grain are grown. The town supports several businesses and a school. The population was 250 in 1920, 120 in 1930 and 1947, and 200 in 1980 through 2000.

Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Wall, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wall-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Wall
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1370774
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tom Green County
Associated Names

Lipan 2

Little School

Murray's Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.37405240°
  • Longitude: -100.30758690°
Population Counts
People Year
329 2009