Wallace Creek, TX


By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Wallace Creek is beside a stream with the same name near Ranch Road 1030 five miles southwest of San Saba in central San Saba County. Jackson Brown, J. McDaniel, and Matthias Harkey and his sons settled beside the stream in November 1854. Other early settlers included Chaney Crouch, Irvin Campbell, Joe Campbell, Jack Latham, James Henderson, W. Thaxton, George Conway, Jack Hinton, and the Haldens. Although James S. Bourland, Reuben W. McKee, David Taylor, and other settlers had promoted Wallace Creek as the county seat, the community lost to Rowe's Land in an election held on May 3, 1856. Rowe's Land, however, lost in a special election, and San Saba became the county seat. A church was still located at the townsite in 1984.

Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Wallace Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wallace-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Wallace Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1370788
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Saba County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.17183440°
  • Longitude: -98.80615480°