Wamba, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Wamba, near the Red River five miles northwest of Texarkana in eastern Bowie County, is in an area that was occupied by squatters as early as the 1830s but not actually settled before the 1850s. A post office opened in 1897 with Laurel B. Fort as postmaster and was discontinued in 1916. The population of Wamba was reported as fifty in 1910 and as forty in 1940. In 1982 through 2000 Wamba had a population of seventy and no rated businesses.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Wamba, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 03, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wamba-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Loading