Ward Prairie, TX


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Ward Prairie, also known as Lakes Chapel, is a widely scattered community on Farm Road 488 five miles northeast of Fairfield in central Freestone County. Both a Methodist church and a cemetery were established in 1876. The community had a school named Lakes Chapel School, which in 1893 had an enrollment of twenty-three students and in 1903 had an enrollment of twenty-four students. In the 1930s Ward Prairie had a school, a church, two cemeteries, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1960s the community had a church, a few cemeteries, and a few dwellings, and in the late 1980s the church and cemeteries still remained.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Ward Prairie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ward-prairie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Ward Prairie
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Ward Chapel

Lakes Chapel

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76350070°
  • Longitude: -96.13830330°