Waring, TX

By: Eva Blaschke

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995

Waring is on the banks of the Guadalupe River, seven miles downstream from Comfort and twelve miles north of Boerne in Kendall County. It was founded in 1887 and originally known as Waringford, when R. P. M. Waring, a native of Waringford, Ireland, provided a right-of-way for the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway for its Kerrville line. In 1888 the post office from Windsor, a neighboring community, was moved across the Guadalupe River to Waringford. On February 10, 1901, the town's name was shortened to Waring. The population of Waring remained between 100 and 150 from 1890 until 1914, when it reached a high of 300. During these years the town had two general stores, a corn and grist mill, a gin, a stone quarry, a lumberyard, a hotel and boarding house, and several stores. Around 1950 the population decreased to eighty, and only a post office and two businesses remained. Train service was discontinued in 1970. In 1990 the population was seventy-three. The population remained the same in 2000.

Eva Blaschke, comp, The Waring Story, Commissioned by the Waring Thimble Club (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin, 1976).


  • Peoples
  • Irish


  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eva Blaschke, “Waring, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/waring-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995