Warlock, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Warlock, formerly known as Ero, is on Farm Road 729 eighteen miles northwest of Jefferson in northwestern Marion County. Ero was built as a railway station on the Port Bolivar Iron Ore Railroad in 1912. The railroad was projected to run from Longview to a point seventy miles to the north, but the company ran out of funds and never built beyond Ero, a distance of some thirty miles from Longview. The railroad was abandoned in 1927. In the 1930s Ero had two businesses, two churches, and two school buildings with a total of six classrooms known collectively as Warlock School. In 1937 the Warlock schools were attended by a daily average of fifty-two black elementary students taught by two teachers and fifty-six black high school students taught by one teacher. The schools were consolidated with Lassater schools by 1952. In 1961 the community was called Warlock and had a church and several scattered dwellings. In 1983 Warlock had a church and a club house.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Warlock, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/warlock-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Warlock
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379237
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Eros

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.83930150°
  • Longitude: -94.62409260°