Warren is on an old road from Liberty to Town Bluff twelve miles south of Woodville in central Tyler County. It started with the coming of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad to Tyler County in 1883. That year Alexander Young, of Young and Williams' Globe Planing Mills at Beaumont, built the first mill at Warren. A second mill was built by Brough and Krueger, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, next to the original mill, in 1887. By 1889 the two mills were consolidated as the Warren Lumber Company, under the management of Alexander Young, with William Brough, Jr., as superintendent. The combined mills were putting out 125,000 feet and 50,000 feet planed. Nearby logging camps included Camp Brough (Bruff), Camp Annie, Camp Stutts, and Camp Battle Ax. The company had five miles of trams, two locomotives, and twenty-five cars. It employed about 200 men. Warren opened a post office in 1883 with John C. Terrell as postmaster. The post office was housed in a large store with a telegraph office and the railroad depot. Before the town's founding the nearest school had been Allisonville. By 1917 Warren District No. 24 was one of forty-seven in the county. By 1955 Warren was one of seven school districts. In 1891 the Myrta Lodge of Masons No. 658 had moved to Warren from Hyatt. Warren declined from 883 in 1890 to 260 during the 1950s and 1960s. The population in 1990 was 304. The population remained the same in 2000.