Warwick, TX


By: Richard Bruhn

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Warwick was at one time a rail siding on the Southern Pacific Railroad nine miles east of Marathon in northeastern Brewster County. It was apparently established when the railroad was built through the area in 1882. Warwick had a rural school just north of the rail siding. The school was established to serve the children of a number of families who had settled in the area to attempt dry-land farming on small acreages. After 1916 the Warwick school was also known as the Pumpkin Center school when a similar farming community several miles to the north, Pumpkin Center, failed and the school there was closed. In 1919 the Warwick community also failed and its school closed. The Warwick rail siding was apparently still in use as late as the early 1970s. Today, however, it has been abandoned by the Southern Pacific.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Richard Bruhn, “Warwick, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/warwick-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Warwick
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379240
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brewster County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.20322940°
  • Longitude: -103.10738970°