Water's Bluff, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Water's Bluff is on Farm Road 757 a mile south of the Sabine River and two miles north of Starrville in extreme northeastern Smith County. It is east of Harris Creek and southwest of a nearby Seventh-day Adventist Camp. There was no school in the area in 1903, but one had been constructed by 1936. That year sixty-four black students attended the two-teacher elementary, and maps showed two churches, a cemetery, and a scattered collection of dwellings along dirt roads. By 1952 local students attended the Winona Independent School District. Maps for 1960 identified Water's Bluff as a settlement of approximately thirty homes. Two churches, a cemetery, a school building, and one business were also located there. A Seventh-day Adventist church had been constructed just northeast. Five years later, the area appeared much the same. By 1973, local residents had built a town hall or community center, and in 1981 Water's Bluff was still designated on maps as the site of a church.

Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Water's Bluff, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/waters-bluff-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Water's Bluff
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Associated Names

Waters Bluff

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.50236680°
  • Longitude: -95.11911180°