Watts Creek, TX


By: Beatrice Grady Gay

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Watts Creek was on Watts Creek near present day Farm Road 1176 six miles east of Coleman in Coleman County. The creek was named for Lem and John Watts, who moved to Texas to join another brother, a soldier at Camp Colorado, in 1860. The Watts Creek settlers built a church in the area in the days when a guard accompanied the children to the school to protect them from Indians. In 1905 A. G. Weaver gave land for a new school to be built. Five years later a one-room building was erected and named Watts Creek School. The social life of Watts Creek centered around outdoor, church, and school activities and included rabbit drives at which the men and boys participated and the women served lunch. In the 1930s the community had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the late 1980s no information was available on the community.

Coleman County Historical Commission, History of Coleman County and Its People (2 vols., San Angelo: Anchor, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Beatrice Grady Gay, “Watts Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/watts-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Watts Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coleman County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82523400°
  • Longitude: -99.32634600°