Wealthy, TX


By: Maria Elena Kruger

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Wealthy is on Farm Road 3 twenty-one miles southwest of Centerville and five miles west of Normangee in southwestern Leon County. The post office operated from 1894 until 1914. According to one source, the town was originally named Poor, but when it applied for a post office the name was rejected. The name Wealthy was substituted and the application accepted. In 1896 Wealthy reported a population high of ninety. The community had a Baptist church, a barbershop, a jeweler, two gristmills and gins, sorghum manufacturers, a school, a general store, and a blacksmith. In 1907 there was one school. By 1914 Wealthy had a population of twenty-five, a general store, and a telephone connection. In 1948 it had a church, a school, and several scattered dwellings. In 1990 a cemetery and Mount Zion church were located northeast of Wealthy.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Maria Elena Kruger, “Wealthy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wealthy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Wealthy
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1370963
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Leon County
Associated Names

Poor

Running Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.02463080°
  • Longitude: -96.17968200°
Population Counts
People Year
12 2009