The Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered on July 2, 1889, to build a line from Weatherford to Mineral Wells, twenty-five miles. The capital was $500,000, and the business office was located in Weatherford. The members of the first board of directors included J. R. Stone, J. E. Soulé, W. S. Stone, and D. P. Doak, all of Kansas City; H. M. Taylor, Henry Warren, Austin Kerr, and William Anderson, all of Weatherford; and William Johnson of Strawn, Texas. The Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern completed twenty-five miles from Weatherford to Mineral Wells in 1891. That year the company owned two locomotives and ninety cars. In 1895 it earned $15,561 in passenger revenue and $38,070 in freight revenue. The line was bought by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company in 1902 and extended eighteen miles from Mineral Wells to Graford in 1908. In 1931 the line was classified as a Class II railroad by the Railroad Commission and owned three locomotives and three cars. That year the line earned $5,783 in passenger revenue and $854,122 in freight revenue. Twelve miles of track between Salesville and Graford were abandoned in 1936, as were eight miles between Mineral Wells and Salesville in 1941. By 1945 only freight service was maintained. On January 1, 1988, the Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company as successor to the Texas and Pacific. However, in the fall of 1989 the line was sold to the city of Mineral Wells, which leased it to the Mineral Wells and Eastern Railroad for operation on October 1, 1989. There was insufficient traffic to support the line, and when Mineral Wells withdrew its operating subsidy, the Mineral Wells and Eastern closed in May 1992.