Weir, TX (Hopkins County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Weir, also known as Weirville, is off State highways 19 and 154 thirteen miles north of Sulphur Springs in northern Hopkins County. It grew up around a garage operated by James E. Weir in the early 1930s. Weir expanded the business, adding a blacksmith shop, a store, and a service station. At its height in the mid-1930s Weirville had the Weir garage, a school, and a number of scattered houses. Weir later retired because of poor health and sold the store. Two other stores briefly operated at Weirville, but by 1976 all that remained of the community was a Domino hall and a few widely scattered houses. The town's name was later shortened to Weir. In the late 1980s Weir was a dispersed rural community.

Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Weir, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/weir-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Loading