Francis Flourney Wells, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born in Lunenburg County, Virginia about 1799. He moved to Texas from Louisiana and on July 21, 1824, received title to a league and a labor of land in present Brazoria and Jackson counties. On July 28, 1825, Wells married Martha McNutt, and the couple had two sons and one daughter. The Mexican census of March 1826 listed him as a doctor, a married man with a wife, and between sixteen and twenty-five. On November 14, 1829, the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin granted him a license to practice medicine in Texas. In July 1830 the ayuntamiento also appointed Wells a member of the new board of medical examiners. In 1832 Wells and his sister-in-law, Mrs. Pamelia (Parmelia) McNutt Porter, founded the town of Texana in Jackson County. Wells laid off the townsite into residential and business lots. On July 17, 1835, Wells was present at the Lavaca-Navidad Meeting. In 1838 he was a participant at a political meeting that nominated Peter W. Grayson for president of the republic. On May 8, 1839, Wells filed a petition requesting payment for property destroyed by the Republic of Texas Army. He served as a private in Capt. John S. Menefee’s Company of Volunteers from March 6, 1842, until June 6, 1842. He was appointed the U.S. Postmaster for Texana on October 1, 1846. Hisson, Lucky Francis Wells, later fought in the Confederate army and served as county clerk and judge. In 1851 Wells deeded a lot in Texana to be used by the local Methodist church. He died in Jackson County, and his will was filed for probate on December 10, 1866. He is buried in the Wells’ Family Cemetery located six miles southeast of Edna, Texas, on FM 1822 near the Lavaca-Navidad River Authority headquarters.