Wenasco, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Wenasco, five miles north of Jasper in northern Jasper County, was established in 1915 and derived its name from the initial letters of the Western Naval Stores Company, for which it was a turpentine camp. The camp had a distillery, three side camps that tended 100 boxes of turpentine, 300 employees, and a population of 500. In 1919 all installations were removed and the site abandoned. A post office, established in 1916, was discontinued in 1920.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Wenasco, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wenasco-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Wenasco
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County