Wentworth, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Wentworth was a rural retail center for farmers in central Van Zandt County two miles northeast of Canton and just north of Farm Road 1255 and Interstate 20. According to some sources it was named for Wentworth Manning, kinsman of William Manning who moved to the area in 1859 as a surveyor and newspaper editor. The population reached thirty in the 1930s, and in 1936 the community had a church, one business, and scattered dwellings. Wentworth school was consolidated with the Canton Independent School District in 1949. The population of Wentworth was last recorded at thirty-two in 1974, and by 1987 only a church remained at the site. The population remained at thirty-two in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Wentworth, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wentworth-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Wentworth
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379252
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Carew

Monico

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.57319030°
  • Longitude: -95.80579850°