The West Texas chamber of Commerce was founded in Fort Worth in December 1918, when representatives of some twenty-five counties and of four city chambers of commerce attended a meeting called by Dr. C. C. Gumm. The organization states its purposes as the fostering, promoting, protecting, and developing of West Texas, stimulating its prosperity, and promoting its general welfare. The first regional convention was held in Mineral Wells in 1919 under the presidency of C. T. Herring of Amarillo. The chamber worked for the establishment of Texas Technological College, for redistricting of Texas to give West Texas more nearly proportional representation in the state legislature, and for protection of West Texas water rights. In 1922 the organization was expanded to bring in the eastern counties of New Mexico; in 1928 the San Antonio district withdrew to go into the South Texas Chamber of Commerce. In 1929 the organization was divided into ten regions, with a regional director in each division, all subordinated to the main headquarters. Stamford was headquarters from 1918 to 1937, when the offices were moved to Abilene. The official publication of the chamber, West Texas Today, was published as a quarterly from 1918 to 1922, when it became a monthly magazine. In 1988 the West Texas Chamber of Commerce and the other regional chambers of commerce were merged into the Texas Chamber of Commerce in Austin. In 1995 a further merger with the Texas Association of Business created the Texas Association of Business and Chambers of Commerce.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
West Texas Today, May 1933, November 1937.
- Dallas/Fort Worth Region
- Fort Worth
- North Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “West Texas Chamber of Commerce,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 24, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/west-texas-chamber-of-commerce.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.