West Vernon, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Located along the western border of what is now Vernon in north central Wilbarger County, West Vernon grew up around the first rural school district established in the county in 1893. It voted to incorporate on February 21, 1927, and by the 1930s had grown to include twelve businesses and a population of 955. In 1944 Vernon annexed West Vernon. The schools officially merged in 1945. A population figure of 955 was listed separately for West Vernon through the 1960s. No evidence of the former town was indicated on 1980 county maps.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “West Vernon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/west-vernon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
West Vernon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County