Westbrook, on U.S. Highway 20/80, Farm Road 670, and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, eight miles west of Colorado City in west central Mitchell County, was named for John W. Westbrook, an early settler. It is on a tributary of Morgan Creek. The town was platted in 1906 and grew rapidly between 1907 and 1909, when it had a reported population of 600, gins, a bank, a school, a threshing plant, and a post office. In 1947 it had a population of 400 and eight businesses. Westbrook declined to 298 people by 1980. In 1990 the population was 237. The population dropped to 203 in 2000.