In the early 1900s the Collin County Baptist Association bought the former Westminster College property in the Collin County community of Westminster and financed the construction of a new fifty-room building. The new school, completed in 1907 at a cost of $75,000, was first called Westminster Institute and later Westminster Baptist Academy. It offered instruction from primary grades through high school and designed its courses to meet the entrance requirements of Baylor University. Tuition ranged from one to four dollars a month, and room and board cost nine dollars a month. The school's last year of operation was 1915.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David Minor, “Westminster Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/westminster-institute.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.