Westville, TX (DeWitt County)


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Westville was a black rural community two miles south of Cuero in central DeWitt County. The community centers were a school and Mount Herman Baptist Church, both established in 1887. Members continued to attend the church until 1958, after the population had moved to Cuero. The school was probably closed by 1950, when most schools in the county had been consolidated.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Westville, TX (DeWitt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/westville-tx-dewitt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Westville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377663
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.08692150°
  • Longitude: -97.25554530°