Wetmore, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Wetmore was on the International-Great Northern Railroad eleven miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in Bexar County. It was founded in 1880 on the newly-built Houston and Great Northern Railroad and named for Jacob S. Wetmore, a director of the road. A post office opened in 1890, and by 1914 the settlement had a general store, a blacksmith, and a population of twenty-five. The population was fifty in 1920. In 1940 Wetmore had eight businesses, a church, a school, and a population of 150. As late as 1985 a population of 175 and eighteen businesses were reported. With the growth of metropolitan San Antonio, the community gradually lost its separate identity, and in 1992 it no longer appeared on maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Wetmore, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wetmore-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Loading