Wheeler Springs, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Wheeler Springs, off Farm Road 229 twelve miles northwest of Crockett in western Houston County, was probably established before 1900. In the mid-1930s the small community had a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was closed, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Wheeler Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wheeler-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Wheeler Springs
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380766
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.37684590°
  • Longitude: -95.64661880°
Population Counts
People Year
89 2009