White Oak, at the junction of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 3272, just west of Longview in north central Gregg County, grew up around a school established in 1887. During the oil boom of the 1930s the community grew rapidly, and by the early 1940s it was a independent school district and part of the Kilgore Junior College district. After World War II the population continued to increase, and in 1960 the community incorporated. In 1962 the reported population was 1,250. In 1990 White Oak was a suburban extension of Longview with a population of 5,136 and seventy-five businesses. The population was 5,624 in 2000.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “White Oak, TX (Gregg County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/white-oak-tx-gregg-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.