William C. White, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a league of land on the west bank of the Brazos River in what is now northeast Austin County on August 19, 1824. In 1826 he was a single man, aged between sixteen and twenty-five. He may be the same William White who was a proprietor of Robert Leftwich's colony in September 1827.
William White, the original colonist, was not the William White who was a member of James W. Fannin's command but was sick and absent on furlough at the time of the battle of Coleto. White, the soldier, may have been William White of Bangor, Maine, who wrote Henry Smith in January 1836 of his desire to volunteer for the Texas army.