Whiteway, TX


By: W. W. Standifer

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: October 1, 1995


Whiteway (formerly Whitesboro), in southeast Hamilton County, was established to serve the needs of motorists between Jonesboro and Hamilton. The settlement had a school, a church, a cemetery, and scattered farm units in 1936. At one time its population was fourteen; in 1966 four inhabitants were reported. Whiteway was named for Steve White, a local resident, whose sons established and operated the filling station, garage, body shop, and grocery. Whiteway appeared on local maps during the late 1980s, but no population figures were available. By 2000 the population was listed as ten.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

W. W. Standifer, “Whiteway, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/whiteway-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
October 1, 1995

Place
Whiteway
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379270
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hamilton County
Associated Names

Whitesboro

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.64293460°
  • Longitude: -97.97169670°
Population Counts
People Year
8 2009