Wilcox, TX (Burleson County)


By: Charles Christopher Jackson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 1, 1995


Wilcox is a farming community five miles southeast of Snook at the junction of State Highway 50 and Farm Road 1361 in southeastern Burleson County. Anglo-American settlement near the site began in the mid-1820s, but it was not until the early 1880s that a community formed in the vicinity of Henry W. Wilcox's residence on the banks of Cottonwood Bayou. A post office operated from 1900 until 1924. The community was one of the first in Burleson County to receive telephone service when a line was extended to Snook about 1940. Money Chapel is situated on the western edge of the township. The population in 1936 was an estimated fifty, and there was one business in the town. By 1952 Wilcox had two businesses, but the population had declined to an estimated forty, where it remained through 2000.

Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles Christopher Jackson, “Wilcox, TX (Burleson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wilcox-tx-burleson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 1, 1995

Place
Wilcox
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380780
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Burleson County
Associated Names

Brooks

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.44603930°
  • Longitude: -96.37940840°
Population Counts
People Year
39 2009