Wildcat, TX (Wilbarger County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Wildcat is on a local road just north of Wildcat Creek and three miles north of Vernon in north central Wilbarger County. A school was established near the creek in 1889 and became the meeting place for area settlers. In 1911 a Sunday school was started at the school, and a Methodist church was organized in 1915. The school served a sizable district north of the Pease River until it was consolidated with the Vernon schools in 1948. County maps of the 1980s indicated a church and a small community at the site.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Wildcat, TX (Wilbarger County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wildcat-tx-wilbarger-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Wildcat
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1371512
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.20175180°
  • Longitude: -99.29369310°