Wildorado, on Interstate Highway 40 (U.S. Highway 66) in southeastern Oldham County, is named for nearby Wildorado Creek. It is on the old cattle trail from Tascosa to Canyon City and became a community in 1900, when the survey of the Amarillo division of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railroad marked it as a shipping point on the new line. It was settled by Eugene Binford and John R. Goodman, who ranched in the area before 1900. A post office was established in 1904 with Goodman as postmaster. After completion of the railroad line to the townsite in 1908, Goodman organized the Wildorado State Bank and built the Wildorado Hotel. A newspaper, the Wildorado Progress, began publication in 1909. Many small ranchers, stock farmers, and wheat growers were soon attracted. By 1915 Wildorado had telephone connections, a grocer, a general store, a lumber company, a blacksmith, a hardware store, a school, two churches, and a population of 100. The town's first social fraternity was the Wildorado Woodmen of the World, Camp #3078, which received its charter in 1914. The town endured droughts and dust storms throughout the late 1920s and 1930s. During this period the state bank and the neighboring grain and mercantile store were robbed and burglarized more than once by desperadoes from Borger. In 1936 Wildorado reported a population of fifty-seven and seven businesses. By 1947 the population had increased to 125, but the number of businesses had declined to three. The gradual evolution of the Ozark Trail (Route 66) into Interstate 40 encouraged growth. In 1957 the number of residents was estimated at 210, and eight businesses were reported. The formation of the Wildorado Water Supply Corporation in 1976–77 ensured a rural water supply and irrigation wells. In 1988 the town had an estimated population of 180 and twelve businesses. The population was still 180 through 2000.