Wilmeth, TX (Collin County)


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1995


Wilmeth, a school community, was located in central Collin County just north of the present city limits of McKinney on what is now U.S. Highway 75. The town was named for J. B. Wilmeth, the first settler in the community and the first teacher at the log cabin school in 1848. After Wilmeth arrived, other settlers moved to the settlement, located on land originally granted to Tola Dunn in 1843. The Wilmeth school was still operating between 1905 and 1918, but it apparently ceased operation soon thereafter. As the school was the focal point of the community, the town ceased to exist as well.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
Places:

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Wilmeth, TX (Collin County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wilmeth-tx-collin-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1995

Place
Wilmeth
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County