Wilson, Roscoe (1881–1936)

By: Seymour V. Connor

Type: Biography

Published: 1976

Updated: September 1, 1995

Roscoe Wilson, lawyer, businessman, and civic leader, was born on March 5, 1881, in Brazoria, Texas, the son of Eugene Joseph and Della (Sweeney) Wilson. After finishing public school in Houston, he studied law in his father's office and was admitted to the bar in 1903. He opened his own law office in Lubbock in 1909 and established the firm of Wilson, Randal, and Kilpatrick there in 1925. He was a director of the First National Bank of Lubbock and one of the founders of the Lubbock Building and Loan Association. On June 22, 1912, he was married to Alice Effie Brownfield. Wilson was active in civic affairs in Lubbock; he belonged to a number of city, business, and fraternal organizations and served on a number of special boards and committees, including the charter commission for the city of Lubbock. He aided in the establishment of St. Pauls-on-the-Plains Episcopal Church and was a member of the Lubbock school board. Wilson was a member of the local committee that secured the site for Texas Technological College. He helped induce the state to locate the institution in Lubbock and was appointed in 1929 to the college's board of directors, on which he served until his death on February 13, 1936. A Lubbock elementary school was named in his honor, and in 1936 La Ventana,the Texas Tech yearbook, was dedicated to him.

Seymour V. Connor, ed., Builders of the Southwest (Lubbock: Southwest Collection, Texas Technological College, 1959). Lawrence L. Graves, ed., A History of Lubbock (Lubbock: West Texas Museum Association, 1962).
  • Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
  • Activism and Social Reform
  • Civic Leaders
  • Lawyers
  • General Law

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Seymour V. Connor, “Wilson, Roscoe,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 11, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wilson-roscoe.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995