Womack, TX

By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Womack is on Farm Road 219 five miles northeast of Clifton and thirty miles northwest of Waco in southeastern Bosque County. It was founded on the James Smith survey, which was deeded to James Pinckney Henderson on March 8, 1852. A post office was established in the German community in Hugh S. Anderson's general store on January 8, 1880, and designated Womack the next month. The post office was discontinued in 1906. Worship services and school lessons were originally held in German. In the 1920s it was not uncommon to find a child exposed to English for the first time at school. The estimated population was forty in 1939, twenty in 1949, and twenty-five in 1974 through 2000.

Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Texas, Land and People: History of Bosque County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985). William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • Germans

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Womack, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/womack-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Loading