Wood Hi, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Wood Hi, on Farm Road 1686 between Telferner and DaCosta in eastern Victoria County, is named for William A. Wood, upon whose ranch the community developed. Wood, the brother of Tobias D. Wood, a well-known rancher in Victoria and Refugio counties, was married to Nellie Borland Wood-Kreisle, a prominent Victoria clubwoman and civic leader. In 1918 an eight-grade rural common school was built upon land William Wood had donated. A new structure was erected in 1951. By 1963 Wood Hi had a cooperative gin, a grocery store, the school, and a dozen farm homes. The community serves an area rich in oil and gas, livestock, corn, cotton, and grains. In 1985 through 2000 its population was thirty-five. William Wood Elementary School is now part of Victoria Independent School District.

Roy Grimes, ed., 300 Years in Victoria County (Victoria, Texas: Victoria Advocate, 1968; rpt., Austin: Nortex, 1985). Victoria Advocate, Progress Edition, March 10, 1963.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Wood Hi, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wood-hi-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Wood Hi
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034678
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Victoria County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.79443530°
  • Longitude: -96.84164960°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2014