Woodcrest College, a private, independent educational institution, was founded as Dallas Bible Institute in 1940. Robert J. Wells, pastor of Galilean Baptist Church, was its first president. The original institute was incorporated on November 28, 1941, as a nonprofit Christian institution. In 1943 Martin O. Massinger became president. Classes first met in the Scofield Memorial Church. In September 1945 fulltime day classes began at 2016 Commerce Street, with twenty-one students enrolled. The following year the school purchased a building at 3608 Swiss Avenue. Later an annex and three additional buildings were added to the campus. In 1947 the board initiated a Bible college program, and the school was renamed Dallas Bible Institute and Bible College. In 1965 the name was shortened to Dallas Bible College. In September 1966 the college moved to a twelve-acre campus in east Dallas. Developments at these new facilities allowed the college to proceed toward accreditation. The American Association of Bible Colleges granted associate membership in 1967 and full accreditation in 1971. In May 1974 the board of directors appointed Massinger chancellor, and U. A. Doiron became the college's third president. Massinger served the college until his death in 1981. Under Doiron's leadership the college expanded its programs and pursued the goal of integrating biblical principles in every area of the curriculum. It also established extension classes in Houston in cooperation with Houston Bible Institute and in San Antonio in cooperation with the Texas Bible Institute. In fall 1984 the board of directors of the college moved the main campus to a sixty-eight-acre site near Lindale in East Texas and changed the name of the institution to Woodcrest College and Conference Center. Financial difficulties, however, forced the college to close on December 31, 1985.