Woodland, TX (Red River County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Woodland is ten miles north of Detroit in northwestern Red River County. It formed in the late 1850s around a general store owned by Edward Stuart. A post office was opened in 1878, and by 1880 the town had a population of 150. Woodland was a market and supply center for area farmers and had a gin and two stores, one privately owned and the other a cooperative owned and operated by the Woodland Grange. By 1884 the town also had three churches, a school, three gins, and at least two mills. The population of Woodland reached its highest point in 1892, at 250. From 1900 through 1947 the population was recorded as 159. The post office was closed during the 1970s. In 1984 Woodland had an estimated fifty residents and a weekly newspaper, the Woodland Sun. In 1990 the population was 128. The population remained the same in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Woodland, TX (Red River County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/woodland-tx-red-river-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Woodland
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1371913
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.80705200°
  • Longitude: -95.27384130°
Population Counts
People Year
128 2009