Woods Spring Creek rises four miles south of Hardin in central Liberty County (at 30°06' N, 94°44' W). The creek follows a westerly course for 2½ miles to its mouth on Palmer Bayou, 2½ miles northeast of Liberty (at 30°06' N, 94°46' W). The Spanish, who established a small outpost on the south bank of the creek during the 1750s, called it Atascosito Spring. The site of the Spanish position is denoted by Texas Centennial (1936) and Liberty Bicentennial (1976) markers. Clear springwater feeds the creek.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Woods Spring Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 31, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/woods-spring-creek.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.