John Woodward, Texas consul in New York from 1836 to 1840, was a New York judge when he became interested in Texas lands as early as 1812. It was not until 1834, however, that he secured settlement rights under John Charles Beales's contract in the Ben Milam grant and engaged Edward Howard to obtain settlers for him to locate on the Colorado River. On December 15, 1836, Woodward was appointed Texas consul general for the New York consulate, which embraced the ports of Boston, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. In 1837 he petitioned the Texas Congress to grant him 10,000 acres of land adjoining his original grant and continued to petition throughout his consulship. While traveling in England, Woodward sold 40,000 acres of land to Jonathan Ikin, who sent 100 colonists to the grant but found that it did not exist. On October 13, 1837, Woodward purchased ninety-nine leagues of land for the Rio Grande and Texas Land Company, retaining one-fourth of the land for his services. Because of his land speculations he was the object of considerable criticism and on February 6, 1840, was dismissed as consul.