Woodway, or Woodway Village, is adjacent to the southwestern city limits of Waco between U.S. Highway 84 and State Highway 6, in west central McLennan County. It began as a small community on U.S. Highway 84 in the late 1940s and early 1950s but grew so rapidly that in 1955 residents voted to incorporate as Woodway Village in order to keep up with the demand for street building and other public improvements. The community became the city of Woodway in 1973. A few businesses were located in Woodway, but there were no industries; most of the work force commuted to nearby Waco. The population grew from 1,244 in 1960 to 4,819 in 1970 and to 5,660 in 1980. In 1990 it was 8,695. The population was 8,733 in 2000.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Woodway, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/woodway-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.