Word, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Word was ten miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County. A post office was opened in the community in 1892 with Leo Koonce as postmaster. In 1896 the settlement consisted of little more than a general store and a few widely scattered farms. The post office was closed in 1912.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Word, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/word-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Word
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Mount Hermon