Wyche, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: October 1, 1995


Wyche was in southeastern Deaf Smith County. It was named for John S. Wyche, who moved to the county in 1895 and built the first school on his land four years later. At one time the community was called Alayone. Part of it was known as Boiling Spring because of a spring that was a continuous source of running water until the 1950s, when deep-well irrigation lowered the water table. The Wyche school, which also served as a church and community center, remained active until 1937, when its district was consolidated with that of Hereford. Since then the community has gradually been absorbed by the county seat's expansion.

Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People (Hereford, Texas: Deaf Smith County Historical Society, 1982). Bessie Patterson, A History of Deaf Smith County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Wyche, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 23, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wyche-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 1, 1995

Loading