Wynder, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: October 1, 1995


Wynder, a rural community four miles west of Carthage on U.S. Highway 79 in central Panola County, was settled after the Civil War. A school was founded prior to 1878; by 1900 it had an enrollment of nearly fifty. In the mid-1930s the small community had a store, a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of houses. In the 1940s the school was consolidated with the Carthage school, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. No population estimates were available.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Wynder, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/wynder-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 1, 1995

Place
Wynder
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County