Wynne, three miles north of Canton in central Van Zandt County, appeared on 1936 state highway maps as the site of a school, a church, a single business, and scattered dwellings. The Wynne school was consolidated with the Canton Independent School District by the 1950s. In 1981 the school building and two churches survived to mark the townsite. In 1990 the population was 175. The population remained the same in 2000.