York Creek, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1995


York Creek, also known as York Creek Ridge, was located on a hill above the intersection of York Creek and Farm Road 20 thirteen miles northeast of Seguin in northeastern Guadalupe County. In its early years the town centered around a school built in 1854 by German immigrants. York Creek post office opened in 1886, and in 1890 the town had a grocery store, a general store, a cotton gin, and twenty-five inhabitants. Two gins were in operation by 1896. The post office closed in 1906. By the 1940s the school and businesses were gone, and York Creek had a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. The church was still in existence in the 1980s.

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “York Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/york-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1995

Place
York Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1350691
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Guadalupe County
Associated Names

-Ridge

-Valley

Grover

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.71828130°
  • Longitude: -97.85305830°