Zuehl is an unincorporated rural community located on Cibolo Creek fourteen miles southwest of Seguin in southwestern Guadalupe County. The site was once known as Perryman's Crossing and was part of the Wood Road, which was built before 1830 between Gonzales and San Antonio. Ferdinand Zuehl bought the land in 1870 and in 1872 opened Zuehl's store, from which the settlement took its name. Clemens School was built in the area in 1883, and when the post office opened in 1888, it was called School. Clemens School had one teacher and fifty-two students in 1904. The post office changed its name to Zuehl in 1906; it was discontinued in 1910. In 1945 the town had seven stores and a population of 175. Forty-nine residents were reported in 1990. The community was also the site of a private airfield.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Willie Mae Weinert, “Zuehl, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/zuehl-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.