Zunkerville, located on State Highway 72 twelve miles west of Kenedy in the southwestern corner of Karnes County, was named after H. R. Zunker, who settled there in 1916 and built a store and a cotton gin for the surrounding farming community. In 1948 maps indicated a number of residences, businesses, a school, and a church. In 1961 Zunkerville had a population of seventy. Only the ruins of the cotton gin remained in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifteen.