Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BRAZOS LARGOS INDIANS

BRAZOS LARGOS INDIANS. These Coahuiltecan Indians are known through a single missionary report (1794) from Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission near Goliad. In this report they are identified as a subdivision of the Aranamas, and at that time only nine remained. When Governor Manuel Muñoz visited the Goliad mission in 1794 during his study of the feasibility of enforcing the secularization decree, he determined that none of the 125 mission Indians, including the nine Brazos Largos, were able to manage their own affairs. The name, which is Spanish for "long arms" or perhaps "big arms," suggests that the Spaniards observed a physical difference between these and other Aranama groups. The original territory of the Brazos Largos was probably the same as that of the Aranamas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Esteban L. Portillo, Apuntes para la historia antigua de Coahuila y Texas (Saltillo: Tipografía "El Golfo de México" de Severo Fernández, 1886).

Thomas N. Campbell

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "BRAZOS LARGOS INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmb15), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.