Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


TISHIM INDIANS. This name is known only from baptismal records of San Antonio de Valero Mission in San Antonio. The mother of a baptized child was recorded as Tishim, the father Yojuane. The Tishims may be the same as the Tixemus, who in 1683 were reported as one of the Texas groups known to the Jumanos, some of whom traveled widely in the interior of Texas. If so, a Tonkawan affiliation is suggested by the fact that the Tishim woman was married to a Yojuane (the Yojuanes were Tonkawans). The similarity of Titskan, the Tonkawa name for themselves, to both Tishim and Tixemu also suggests the same relationship. J. R. Swanton considered the Tishims to be either Coahuiltecan or Tonkawan in language.


Charles W. Hackett, ed., Pichardo's Treatise on the Limits of Louisiana and Texas (4 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1931–46). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). J. R. Swanton, Linguistic Material from the Tribes of Southern Texas and Northeastern Mexico (Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1940).

Thomas N. Campbell


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Thomas N. Campbell, "TISHIM INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.